|PROGRAMME TITLE||NQF||SAQA ID||CREDITS|
|NATIONAL CERTIFICATE: 3D ANIMATION AND VISUAL EFFECTS||5||57607||149|
Learners who attain this qualification are competent 3D animation or visual effects artists. This qualification is set to improve the quality of 3D animation and visual effects in South Africa, providing an entry level of generalist competence that can be developed to improve international competitiveness.
Qualifying learners attain skills to work in post- production, design sound, capture motion, visualise in 3D space, put ideas down visually (draw) on paper or computer, operate software packages, follow and assess storyboard instructions, plan work flow, manage themselves in larger projects, manage electronic files, model characters, create light and texture, animate by adding motion, composite and render, work in teams, and rig models. They attain knowledge about the history of animation, forms, styles and technology, characterisation and story boarding, the production process (modelling, texturing and lighting, animation and motion, compositing and rendering), types of outputs, procedures for storyboarding, conceptualising, copyright, intellectual property, editing principles, film/video/camera language and cinematography, scripting language, operating systems, Internet, hardware, resources, and health hazards related to computer use.
Qualified learners are capable of animating characters, modelling objects and characters, texturing and lighting objects, characters and backgrounds, drawing characters and objects, storyboarding scripts, managing own projects, compositing layers, managing electronic files, rigging models, rendering files, formats and outputting, designing backgrounds, assessing contracts and marketing their own 3D animation and visual effects capabilities.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS,COURSE DURATION AND CAREER FIELDS
The qualification design and credits are based on the assumption that learners have already attained the following competencies:
- Communication and language (NQF Level 4).
- Mathematical literacy (NQF Level 4).
- Working in a team (NLRD ID 10135).
- Examine the applications of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act and its effect on earnings in own contract (NLRD ID 10717).
- Explain the application of the basic conditions of employment act in an employment contract (NLRD ID 113915).
- Computer literacy (hardware functions; operating systems; file management).
Full Time : Minimum 1 Year
- Computer Animation Instructor
- Motion Graphics Designer
- Flash Animator
- Advertising Animator
- Web Animator
- Computer Animator
- Mobile Animator
- Manage electronic files and data safely, securely and according to specified requirements.
- Analyse requirements for 3D animation processes based on given specifications and existing reference material.
- Range: Processes include storyboarding, modelling, animation, rigging models, shading, mapping images, lighting, rendering files, compositing layers, outputting, and designing backgrounds.
- Develop creative elements according to specification using existing digital data.
- Range: Digital data can include photographic images, pictures, sound, etc.
- Market own 3D animation and visual effects produced for specific purposes.
- Evaluate 3D animation and visual effects against specified requirements.
- Manage 3D animation production according to specified requirements.