|PROGRAMME TITLE||NQF||SAQA ID||CREDITS|
Legal assistants or paralegals must have extensive knowledge of the law and the administration of justice. Their duties may include: liaising with clients of their employers to assist in solving legal problems, legal research, preparing cases for court and liaising with the public. This programme is uniquely designed to impart a comprehensive overview of all aspects of paralegal specialisation and an understanding of individual rights and the rights of others. The Diploma: Paralegal offers the use and application of skills and competencies related to Criminal Law and Procedure, Civil Litigation, Wills and Estates, Property Law and Conveyancing as well as Legal Office Practice Management and Debt Collecting.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS,COURSE DURATION AND CAREER FIELDS
Learners who register for this qualification should have passed Grade 12.
Full Time : Minimum 2 Years
Paralegals within a law firm who specialize in one particular legal field can have very different careers from paralegals working in offices just down the hall who are immersed in another legal specialty. For example, paralegals working in bankruptcy law sometimes have intensive contact with severely stressed clients, and must combine mathematics skills in preparing bankruptcy court documents with warmth and empathy for distressed debtors. On the other hand, paralegals working in fields such as patent law might have limited client contact, but spend much time on tasks such as lineby- line analysis of technical language in patents and their accompanying U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filings.
- Identify and solve problems In which responses display that responsible decisions using critical and creative thinkinghave been made
- Collect,analyse,orpnlse and critically evaluate Information.
- Reflect on and explore a variety of strategies to learn more effectively.
- Communicate effectively using lansuage skills. Stimulate and develop thinking patterns involving creativity.
- Interpret information from various sources
- Apply knowledge of South African Law.